The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

White Keyboards

I'll keep this rant brief. I promise.

It's just that I'm getting a little tired of all these white keyboards. I'm not so sure this was such a hot idea. All my G5s have white keyboards. Or at least they did. Sure, the white looks real nice out of the box, but when a school-full of New York art students starts pounding on them on a daily basis, well, they get looking pretty nasty pretty quick. Yuck! I mean, maybe it's good to know how dirty your keyboard really is. Maybe there's some benefit to that. But it's really quite foul to look at.

And I'm not going to clean all thirty of them. I'm not paid nearly enough.

On a related note, my white office keyboard, the one attached to my admin machine, is downright filthy. Having white keys makes this readily apparent. The mystery is the why of it. Each day it is noticably more caked with some kind of gray film on many, but for some strange reason not all, of the keys. I can't figure it. At first I thought I was just a filthy disgusting pig, and, while that may indeed be the case, it's apparently not what's causing the scum-layer buildup on my office keyboard. The proof lies in my home keyboard: same exact keyboard, white, Apple Macintosh G5 stock. And yet, after months of use it remains fresh and -- whistle like the Irish Spring girl -- clean as a whistle.

I've never had to clean it once.

Only thing I can figure here is there's something in the air. There must be some nasty, airborne, dust-pollen-filth ridden cloud that blows in the window and permeates my office, settling on the keys, mixing with the oils from my fingers, turning the most-used keys the most gray, the less-used keys less gray, and everything in between.

It's gross, I tell you.

But the real question out of all this is:
White keyboard. Friend or foe?

You be the judge.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment