The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Duplicate Computer Names Automatically Changed

I just cloned my system to another computer. When I rebooted the clone it had the same name as my original system, for obvious reasons. Interestingly, once the computers figured out they had evil twins on the network, they both renamed themselves. So, if my computer's original name was "systemsboy," its new name became "systemsboy (3)" and its clone was renamed "systemsboy (2)." Unfortunately, taking the original machine off the network did not cause the clone to rename itself back to its original name (which makes sense, but it would've been cool). To do that, I had to go to the Sharing System Preferences and rename the computer by hand.

I think this is new in Tiger, but I'm not sure.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment