The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Wow! Safari Update Actually Fixes Stuff

I'm not positive, but I think the latest Safari (v.2.0.1) update has fixed a truly annoying problem I noted earlier: the problem wherein Safari's main browser window would change locations after restarting the application, particularly if any secondary windows had been stacked upon it during the session. I am a stickler for my window positions, so this bugged the shit out of me. To the point where I almost switched to Firefox (which I definitely use more now, and which I always use to compose my blog posts).

Again, this appears to be fixed. In fact, not only is it fixed, but to my tastes, it's improved: the first window seems to remember where it was even after you've stacked other Safari windows upon it and then quit. The default before was to remember the last window posistion, and use that when opening the browser anew. I find the new behavior preferable because I always want my first window to be in the same place.

I'm just now trying this, so I may have to update this post in a bit with corrections. But I'm so excited about it, I couldn't wait to post. This bug's been driving me nuts.

If it's true that these fixes have been made, and if there are any Safari developer types who happen to read this, I offer you my heartiest, most sincere, big-wet-sloppy kiss.

Wonderful.

UPDATE 1: The new version of Safari also seems to have fixed the annoying scrolling bug. I'm so happy I could pee.

UPDATE 2: Now this is odd. On my Panther install, on which the Safari window placement bug was not too bad, the Safari update (v. 1.3.1) seems to have aggravated the problem. It's still not as bad as it was in the pre-update Tiger version, but opening a new window will often (though not always) cause this new Panther version of Safari to remember the second window position. Also, in both versions, the scrolling bug is not entirely fixed, but it is a lot better. I'm still, overall, quite happy with the updates, but not to the point where I don't feel the urge to suck that little bit o' pee back up into my body cavity.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment