The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

My Hand to God: Adobe Space Monkey

I was attempting a drag-and-drop install of Adobe Photoshop CS2 to a machine that had not been licensed yet, here in the lab, just to see if one tiny part of my life could be made that much easier. It could not. The attempt, however, did afford me the opportunity to get a load of this Easter Egg:



Adobe Space Monkey Splash Screen
(click for larger view)


Which was promptly followed by this error message:



Adobe Space Monkey Error Message
(click for larger view)


Seems the Photoshop programmers have left us something to smile about when we discover that we'll be installing Photoshop on each individual Mac in our lab. Thanks, guys! You couldn't come up with a volume license scheme that allows me to install a single copy of PS across multiple machines, or a package installer that would let me do same over the network, but you managed to find the time and resources for Adobe Space Monkey. Awesome! I finally get why Photoshop costs hundreds of dollars: You're a bunch of assholes.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

9:35 PM

I just got this same dumbass splash screen when launching my LICENSED copy of Photoshop CS2.

Assholes, indeed.

Guess I'll have to call Adobe "Support" to figure out what the hell is going on.    



12:54 PM

I have three words for you: Carbon Copy Cloner. With CCC you don't need to install CS2 on each machine.    



1:02 PM

Yes, I'm well aware of CCC. I've used it for years. It is a beloved part of my OSX admin toolbox. The problem arises when your purchasing department sends you software three months *after* you've built all your machines (with CCC). This happens to me all the time, and there's nothing to do but go and install apps by hand. I toyed with using a system like Radmind, but it proved far too complicated, buggy, and resource intensive for practical use.

Anyway, I need to really take a long hard look at ways to do incremental system/apps updates. Alas, CCC does not do these. With CCC it's all or nothing. NetRestore or some similar Apple technology using disc images might be the answer, but I haven't sat down and really examined this in awhile. I need to do that. Right now.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the kick in the pants. I am going to re-open this investigation today. If I find goodness, I will post.

-systemboy    



» Post a Comment