The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

External Network Unification Part 1: Research and Development

"Systems Boy! Where are you?"

I realize posting has been lean, lo these past couple weeks. This seems to be a trend in the Mac-blog world. I think some of this has to do with the recent dearth of interesting Mac-related news. In my case, however, it's also due to a shocking lack of time brought on by my latest project.

You may or may not remember, or for that matter even care, about my ongoing Three Platforms, One Server series which deals with my efforts to unify network user authentication across Mac, Windows and Linux systems in my lab. Well, that project is all but done, except for the implementation, which we won't really get to do until the Summer, when students are sparse, time is plentiful, and love is in the air. (Sorry, but if you manage a student lab, you'll probably understand how I might romanticize the Summer months a bit.) Anyway, we've got our master plan for user authentication on our internal network pretty much down, so I've turned my attention to the external network, which is what I've been sweatily working on for the last two weeks.

Our external network (which, for the record, has only recently come under my purview) is made up of a number of servers and web apps to which our users have varying degrees of access. Currently it includes:
  1. A mail server
  2. A web host and file server
  3. A Quicktime Streaming Server
  4. A community site built on the Mambo CMS
  5. An online computer reservations system

In addition to these five systems, additional online resources are being proposed. The problem with the way all this works right now is that, as with our internal network, each of these servers and web apps relies on separate and distinct databases of users for its authentication. This is bad for a number of reasons:
  1. Creating users has to be done on five different systems for each user, which is far more time consuming and error prone than it should be
  2. Users cannot easily change their passwords across all systems
  3. The system is not in any way scalable because adding new web apps means adding new databases, which compounds the above problems
  4. Users often find this Byzantine system confusing and difficult to use, so they use it less and get less out of it

The goal here, obviously, is to unify our user database and thereby greatly simplify the operation, maintenance, usability and scalability of this system. There are a number of roadblocks and issues here that don't exist on the internal network:
  1. There are many more servers to unify
  2. Some of the web apps we use are MySQL/PHP implementations, which is technology I don't currently know well at all
  3. Security is a much bigger concern
  4. There is no one on staff, myself included (although I'm getting there), with a thorough global understanding of how this should be implemented, and these servers, databases and web apps are maintained and operated by many different people on staff, each with a different level of understanding of the problem
  5. All of these systems have been built piecemeal over the years by several different people, many of whom are no longer around, so we also don't completely understand quite how things are working now

All of these issues have led me down the path upon which I currently find myself. First and foremost, an overarching plan was needed. What I've decided on, so far, is this:
  1. The user database should be an LDAP server running some form of BSD, which should be able to host user info for our servers without too much trouble
  2. The web apps can employ whatever database system we want, so long as that system can get user information from LDAP; right now we're still thinking along the lines of MySQL and PHP, but really it doesn't matter as long as it can consult LDAP
  3. Non-user data (i.e. computers or equipment, for instance) can be held in MySQL (or other) databases; our LDAP server need only be responsible for user data

That's the general plan. An LDAP server for hosting user data, and a set of web apps that rely on MySQL (or other) databases for web app-specific data, with the stipulation that these web apps must be able to use LDAP authentication. This, to me, sounds like it should scale quite well: Want to add a new web app? Fine. You can either add to the current MySQL database, or if necessary, build another database, so long as it can get user data from LDAP, as user data is always redundant and should always be consistent. It's important to remember that the real Holy Grail here is the LDAP connection. If we can crack that nut (and we have, to some extent) we're halfway home.

This plan is a good first step toward figuring out what we need to do in order to move forward with this in any kind of meaningful way. As I mentioned, one of the hurdles here is the fact that this whole thing involves a number of different staff members with various talents and skill sets, so I now at least have a clear, if general, map that I can give them, as well as a fairly clear picture in my mind of how this will ultimately be implemented. Coming up with a plan involved talking to a number of people, and trying out a bunch of things. Once I'd gathered enough information about who knew what and how I might best proceed, I started with what I knew, experimenting with a Mac OSX server and some web apps I downloaded from the 'net. But I quickly realized that this wasn't going to cut it. If I'm going to essentially be the manager for this project, it's incumbent upon me to have a much better understanding of the underlying technologies, in particular: MySQL, PHP, Apache and BSD, none of which I'd had any experience with before two weeks ago.

So, to better understand the server technology behind all this, I've gone and built a FreeBSD server. On it I've installed MySQL, PHP and OpenLDAP. I've configured it as a web server running a MySQL database with a PHP-based front-end, a web app called MRBS. It took me a week, but I got it running, and I learned an incredible amount. I have not set up the LDAP database on that machine as yet, however. Learning LDAP will be a project unto itself, I suspect. To speed up the process of better understanding MySQL and PHP (and foregoing learning LDAP for the time being), I also installed MRBS on a Tiger Server with a bunch of LDAP users in the Open Directory database. MRBS is capable of authenticating to LDAP, and there's a lovely article at AFP548 that was immensely helpful getting me started. After much trial and error I was able to get it to work. I now have a web application that keeps data accessed via PHP in a MySQL database, but that gets its user data from the LDAP database on the Tiger Server. I have a working model, and this is invaluable. For one, it gives me something concrete to show the other systems admins, something they can use as a foundation for this project, and a general guide for how things should be set up. For two, it gives us a good idea of how this all works, and something we can learn from and modify our own code with. A sort of Rosetta stone, if you will. And, finally, it proves that this whole undertaking is, indeed, quite possible.

So far, key things I've learned are:
  1. MySQL is a database (well, I knew that, but now I really know it)
  2. PHP is a scripting/programming language that can be used to access databases
  3. MySQL is not capable of accessing external authentication databases (like LDAP)
  4. PHP, however, does feature direct calls to LDAP, and can be used to authenticate to LDAP servers
  5. PHP will be the bridge between our MySQL-driven web apps and our LDAP user database

So that is, if you've been wondering, what I've been doing and thinking about and working on for the past two weeks. Whew! It's been a lot of challenging but rewarding work.

This is actually a much bigger, much harder project than our internal network unification. For one, I'm dealing with technologies with which I'm largely unfamiliar and about which I must educate myself. For two, there are concerns — like security in particular — which are much more important to consider on an external network. Thirdly, there are a great many more databases and servers that need to be unified. Fourth, scalability is a huge issue, so the planning must be spot on. And lastly, this is a team effort. I can't do this all myself. So a lot of coordination among a number of our admins is required. In addition to being a big technical challenge for me personally, this is a managerial challenge as well. So far it's going really well, and I'm very lucky to have the support of my superiors as well as excellent co-systems administrators to work with. This project will take some time. But I really think it will ultimately be a worthwhile endeavor that makes life better for our student body, faculty, systems admins and administrative staff alike.

Labels: , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1:35 AM

In my opinion, you are on the right track with OpenLDAP for your user repository and authentication. LDAP is generally the first external mechanism to be supported when developers realize that yet another local account scheme isn't going to fly with admins.

FWIW, I had a lot of grief with MySQL and found PostgreSQL to be a much more robust database solution. I would recommend Postgres over MySQL if you have a choice. Obviously, you'll want to do your own research on this.

And while I'm dishing out random anonymous advice, PHP is a bit of a mess. Great flexibility and certainly had its day, but if you look at how it works and the security/scalability limitations in its architecture, it probably won't leave you with warm fuzzies. Finding Java based web apps to plop into Tomcat (and point at Postgres) is generally warm and fuzzy.

Anyway... I'm responsible for a campus lab myself, so I can appreciate the thrill of digging into a whole new pile of technology and doing practical problem solving. Fun fun! Good luck with your plans.    



1:11 PM

Anonymous,

Thanks for all the advice. I noticed postgres on my BSD machine and wondered about it. Based on your comments, I will definitely look into it, though folks in my lab seem to be more comfortable with MySQL. Still, I want to check it out and see what I can see. Java is something I didn't even really think about. Like I said, our current system (or lack thereof) has been built very gradually over the years, and I guess I've been thinking about the new structure in terms of the technology we're already using. Your comments have made me curious to investigate other ways of doing things.

It's great to hear from other lab admins. Nice to know others are going through (or have gone through) the same things I'm dealing with. Much appreciated!

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment