The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Broken Downloadable Installers

In the past it's always been possible to save a copy of updates downloaded via Mac OS X's Software Update application.


Software Update: Keep it Handy
(click image for larger view)



Recently, however, certain Final Cut Studio updates will only install via the Software Update mechanism. You can download the updater, but it won't install. For instance, the version 5.1.4 update will download several packages to my hard drive.


Downloaded Packages: Completely Useless in this Case
(click image for larger view)



And I can launch the Final Cut package installer, and it will open in the Installer application. But the splash screen gives me my first hint that something is not right.


Installer: Uh-Oh
(click image for larger view)



I can even navigate to the "Select Destination" screen of the installer, but here I am told that this update can only be installed via Software Update.


Installer: New and the Opposite of Improved
(click image for larger view)



To add insult to injury, even though I've already downloaded the installers, Software Update, once quit, needs to download them all over again. Lame. Painful. Awful. Installing this 39 MB update on my 25+ Macs will kill my network. Guaranteed.


Software Update: But... I Just Downloaded It...
(click image for larger view)


The ability to download software updates for later install — or reinstall — is a really wonderful function of Mac's Software Update mechanism, particularly from a systems standpoint. It's sad and more than a little scary to see it not working on certain, specific pieces of software. Here's hoping this trend does not continue.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

8:35 PM

So I reckon there must be an order they have to go in.

I'd poke around the InstallationCheck and any pre/postflight scripts for those packages to see what's going on.

We use radmind to package this stuff together, so I hadn't actually had to deal with this issue....

-- nigel kersten --    



11:53 PM

While this is indeed unfortunate for some users, Apple's Software Update server will alleviate this problem for many system administrators. The Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 update does indeed work happily from that.    



1:50 PM

Nigel,

Changing the order doesn't seem to help. It looks to me like the only way to install this (and previous FCP Studio 5.1.x) updates is via the SU mechanism. I'll poke around in the package files a bit and see if I can figure out what's going on. But Apple really wants this installed via SU for some reason.

BTW, are you in the US yet?

-systemsboy    



1:53 PM

Jay,

Good to know that the SU Server will alleviate this problem. Last time I tried to use it I had some problems and wasn't able to solve them before I had to move on. I'll have to try and get that working properly one of these days. It would be a real help in our lab, especially as the size and number of updates grows. As well as the number of systems in our lab.

Thanks!

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment