The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Another iPhone Post

Apologies to any readers who aren't interested in the iPhone. It's my little obsession for the time being, so please just bear with me. Exploring it has been a seemingly endless journey, but I believe I will have soon plumbed the thing's depths. Also, with the semester starting soon, and all our cool new goodies in the wings, I should have some other, more network- or desktop-systems-related articles to post in the near future (I am still a SysAdmin, after all). But until then, here's yet another iPhone post (as if the thing needed any more press).

Briefly, I wanted to mention that I did attempt to return my iPhone, using as a pretext the camera's white balance issue, from which mine certainly suffers, and for which I'd heard replacements could be had.


iPhone White Balance Problem: This is a White Wall
(click image for larger view)


I was persistent (read: pesky but polite) enough to have a Genius take a quick look at the problem. He told me that his did the same thing, and that the issue would be corrected in a software update. That was Tuesday evening, July 31, 2007. Lo and behold, the next day Apple released their first iPhone software update.


iPhone Software Update 1.0.1 Lives in:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
(click image for larger view)


Yesterday I installed the update, and I'm pleased to say, though the white balance issue has not yet been addressed, a number of other issues have. Firstly, the phone (mine anyway) is much, much more stable. My iPhone was getting to the point where I almost could not surf the web with multiple pages open without a crash. I mean it was bad to the point of me really not wanting to look at the internet at all anymore on the iPhone. Now, however, I find myself able to open several pages at once (including TUAW, which would consistently crash the browser before completely loading) without a crash. In fact, after a day of heavy use I have not had a single crash, where two days ago I was crashing on a very regular basis. This newfound stability is delightful.


iPhone Updating: Took About Five Minutes Total Time
(click image for larger view)


Secondly, MobileMail, which had previously only showed the top-level folders of my IMAP account, now properly shows all subfolders. This is excellent. I get a lot of server messages automatically sent to me, and without subfolders I had no way to file them. Now, though it can be tedious, it's possible.


iPhone Updated: Much More Stable
(click image for larger view)


There are apparently a whole host of other undocumented improvements. iPhone Atlas has a partial list. They claim that the earpiece and speaker volume has been improved. I cannot verify this as I haven't made or received a phone call since the update (because I am an asocial loser). But if it's true, it would take care of one of my top 5 issues with the iPhone.

With this update — particularly with the improved stability — I find myself less concerned about my dropped, cracked iPhone. It seems to be undamaged and working quite well. At this point I've pretty much made the decision not to make another attempt to get it replaced. Aside from a few scratches and a small crack, which I hardly ever notice anymore, and a fairly troubling white balance problem with the camera, the phone is perfectly fine. So I'll stick with it for now. If Apple does not fix the white balance issue with next software update, however, I may have another crack at it.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4:43 PM

Hi! I have an iphone that seems to have the same white balance problems that you described. I originally had firmware 1.0.2 running on it and have since updated to 1.1.1. It seems like the problem is still there. I was wondering if any of the recent updates fixed your camera?    



4:55 PM

Nope. The problem may have gotten slightly less extreme, but it still exists.

Bummer.

-systemsboy    



6:04 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if restoring the phone might help?    



6:49 PM

I've never restored my phone. It's certainly worth a shot, and it's something I've been meaning to try. Someday I will, though somehow I doubt it will help.

If you try it, please post back results.

Thanks!

-systemsboy    



5:00 PM

Interesting thoughts    



» Post a Comment