The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Stupid Fucking Safari

I don't know about you, but I've had some real beefs of late with the current incarnations of Safari. One pesky problem is the fact that both the Panther and Tiger versions often have trouble loading pages: I type in a url, or open a bunch of bookmarks in tabs, and some fail to load. Safari says it can't find the site. A simple reload generally rectifies the problem, but still, it's just fucking annoying that Apple can't quite seem to get their own browser to actually load all pages every time they're requested.

The other problem I continually have, though this seems to be only in the Tiger version of Safari, is that my browser window placement is often changed after quitting and restarting the application. People who know me well know that I am a total freak about my window placement and sizing. I have window placement set up in certain ways that work very well for me, and I don't move my windows around. Ever. Having them in consistent locations with consistent sizes makes me a far more efficicient, far less bitchy, computer user. I find the moving of windows pointless and unfathomable -- you want it out of the way, hide the application or, if you must, minimize the window (though, if you've set your windows up properly, you should never, ever need to do the latter). Quit moving the windows around. It's stupid and inefficient. Can't you see that? Find a good place for them and leave them. Do you know how many times I've had users tell me that the Timeline Window in Final Cut had simply disappeared and would not come back? Guess what. They'd moved it off screen. Cut it out. There's no reason for it.

As I already said, I am a total freak. But I'm right.

In any case, as much as it pisses me off when users move their windows around, it pisses me off ten times more when they move my windows around. And as much as that pisses me off, it pisses me off a thousand times more when an application randomly and arbitrarily repositions its windows for no apparent reason. Tiger's version of Safari does this on a fairly regular basis. So much so that I'm really this close to switching to Firefox or Camino as my primary browser. And to add insult to injury, getting back your custom window position setting requires not only that you reposistion the main Safari window (which used to do the trick), but that you resize it as well.

What.

The.

Fuck?

And one last thing: What the Hell happened to the "Bookmark This Group of Tabs" feature? About a year ago, everyone was asking for this, and, I believe, the Safari developers were claiming it was just around the bend. But lately, all's been quiet on the "Bookmark This Group of Tabs" front. This is another missing feature that has me eyeing (and trying) other browsers. I'd put out a call right here right now to go bug the Safari devs to add this feature, and I'd go bug them myself, but I'll be damned if I can find a place to request a feature. Maybe it's this damn migraine that's mucking me up. Anyone know where/how to do this?

Okay. All done.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

10:34 AM

Wow! Bitchy!    



6:15 PM

I hear ya (although I usually don't get to the point of cursing at my computer), but windows moving themselves annoys me too, and Safari is bad about it. Whenever a new window opens (which is why I try to keep everything in multiple tabs in one window), Safari remembers the position of THAT window (a little to the right of where I like it), and like you said, you have to move it back AND resize it to get it to stick. I was hoping to find a fix...

PS: The brushed metal windows that sometimes show up and screw up my window positions annoy me too. Any way to completly prevent those windows from ever opening??    



12:49 AM

and a lot of javascript won't work on safari bitch

FUCK OFF , APPLE!!!    



11:31 AM

Yeah, a LOT of Javascript. Like, just about any web app I need to use on a daily basis. Though I will say, it looks like Safari 3 will be much better in this regard.

Still, too little too late? Probably.

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment