The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Buy the Fucking CD!

Universal recently announced that they — like a handful of other major record companies — would begin offering DRM-free music for download at a number of online stores. But not on iTunes. It's a strange and controversial decision, and probably represents Universal's best efforts to gain some control over the online music market, which, from everything I've ever read, is currently dominated by iTunes. The tech world is, of course, up in arms over Universal's decision. But I find all this hullabaloo strange.

Ken Fisher, at Ars Technica, writes:
I know I've run across a few Universal albums I would have bought but then reconsidered, thinking, "This will be DRM-free soon." Foolish? Maybe, but DRM-free products are clearly superior, and it looks like music fans in general believe that to be the case.

Yes, Ken. Without a doubt that was indeed unbelievably foolish. You see, Ken, and anyone else out there who cares about this sort of thing and happens to be listening, which, come to think of it, is probably about six people at this point, there's a perfectly reasonable alternative to DRMed downloads that's been available for over 25 years: Buy the fucking CD! Yes, you can still buy CDs. You can even buy them online. And guess what? They're completely, 100% DRM-free. Not only that, they're better quality, they often include song lyrics and nifty graphics, and you don't ever have to worry about making a backup.

I find it strange that people are fighting so hard for DRM-free music online when the option to buy a CD has existed for years. Do DRM-free online music purchases offer certain conveniences? Sure. Immediate gratification, for one. But that's about it. In fact, the major advantage of DRM-free music will probably go to the music companies, they're just too stupid to realize it: increases in online sales over physical sales, which, since online music requires zero manufacturing costs, will be a huge gain for them.

So what are you fighting for? Essentially, you're fighting for the record companies to make more money so that your digital musical lifestyle can be slightly more convenient and instantly gratifying. Stop it. Please. It's stupid and I'm tired of reading about it. The solution is really quite simple. If you've forgotten, I'll say it one more time: Buy the fucking CD!

Ah, yes. I do feel better.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

11:50 AM

I tend to only want one or two songs off an album, so I buy online to avoid paying for songs I don't want. I also don't need any more CDs floating around the house than I already have. Plus buying online makes it one step easier to get my music onto my iPod.    



12:17 PM

Yeah, it's true. Sometimes I forget that not everyone listens to and manages music exactly like I do. Certainly, for those folks who only want to buy individual tracks, iTunes and other services offer a major financial advantage. And I'm all for the un-DRMing of online music, actually. But I still think it's worth pointing out to those who seem to have forgotten that there is a DRM-free option available, and has been for a really long-ass time. And, personally, I like having CDs around the house. But again, that's just crazy ol' me.

BTW, hi to Cincinnati. That's where I grew up.

-systemsboy    



12:18 AM

I agree - but be aware that some audio CDs *do* have DRM, rather than being in true Audio CD format. I bought a movie soundtrack a few months ago, and it required installation of Windows or Mac listening software, to (presumably) prevent copying and also to prevent loading into MP3 players. I took it back to the store and got my money back. I am much more careful now.
-Spode

p.s. - I had to switch browsers from Camino to Safari to post this comment, because your word verification function failed to display the word graphic in Camino.    



12:31 AM

Oh, Spode. See, that's why no one uses Camino. Actually, I switched to Firefox from Safari because Safari was so bleepin' bad with web forms. Camino was actually much better most times. But Firefox always works. Can't beat that. But that's a whole other post.

In any case, yeah, I know I glossed over a whole bunch with this post, and I am quite aware that occasionally companies try to slip DRM by on the CD. I applaud your plucky willingness to return the disk. I'd like to think I'd do just the same thing.

Evil corporate bastards!

Oh, and that word verification? Not mine. Google's. It's that or gobs and gobs of comment spam, my friend. Sorry.

Cheers!

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment