The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Notes on Google Desktop

Google Desktop, the Google-made search utility for your computer, is finally out for the Mac. I've been playing around with it, putting it through its paces, and comparing it to Spotlight. Here's what I've found so far:

  1. Google Desktop is much, much faster at searching than Spotlight. Spotlight took nearly a full minute to search the term "test" on my computer (that's measured from the time I hit return in the search bar to the time the pinwheel stopped spinning). Google Desktop was nearly instantaneous at returning results. I found both sets of results about equally useful — or useless, depending on your perspective.


    Spotlight Search Results: Slow and Useless
    (click image for larger view)


  2. Google Desktop also returned fewer results than Spotlight. I'm not quite sure why this is so. My guess is that Google Desktop searches metadata and/or file contents differently than Spotlight. But who knows? I've often wondered how Spotlight determines what results get returned, and how relevancy is determined. It's mysteries like that that make these things perhaps less useful than they could be. I know how to optimize my web site for Google's internet search engine, at least to some extent, because how Google searches the web is not completely opaque to me. I do not know, however, how best to save my local data to optimize it for searching via Spotlight or Google Desktop. So my results tend to vary. The nice thing about Google Desktop, though, is that I at least don't have to wait 50 seconds to see my useless results returned. I get them instantly. Yee-haw.


    Google Desktop Search Results: Fast and Useless
    (click image for larger view)



  3. Spotlight stores its index files on a per drive basis, which is smart: index your drive on one machine, it's indexed everywhere. Spotlight's index files are also really small. Google Desktop, on the other hand, creates much bigger index files than Spotlight, and those index files are all stored on the root drive (in /Library/Google/Google\ Desktop/Index/). This is bad for two reasons. On the location side of things, if you move, say, a firewire drive to another computer with Google Desktop, that computer will have to re-index the drive, and that index will always be out of sync with the ones on other systems, causing Google Desktop to constantly index external drives. On the size end of the equation, since the Google Desktop index is entirely on the root drive and can get quite large, it is quite possible, given a large quantity of data and a relatively small root partition — like, say, on my system — for Google Desktop's index files to completely fill your hard drive and lock up your system. Yes. This did happen to me. Thank you for asking.
  4. Google Desktop also shows you other useful information right in the list of search results, which is nice. Info like the file path and a preview of the document's contents appear right there in the search window.

In terms of functionality, though, I like Google Desktop about as much as I like Spotlight, which is to say, not all that much. Mainly because I just don't get very useful results. There are some interesting features that Google Desktop offers in terms of Gmail integration that I've yet to try. These might add some appeal to the program. But as far as searching my local system goes, thus far even Google has yet to make a desktop application that rivals its internet search engine. Seems strange that searching local files is a harder nut to crack than searching the internet. But I guess it is after all.

UPDATE:
First off, I meant to mention that the initial indexing for Google Desktop took a very long time. I'm not sure how much because I ran it on my work machine and let it go all weekend long. Judging by the size of the index when I left the machine versus the final size, I'd guestimate it took roughly 24 hours. Very rough estimate. And bear in mind that I have probably around 1.5 to 2 terabytes of data.

Today I find that Google Desktop is hogging my CPU. I get a big performance hit whenever I'm doing large file writes to disk, which is understandable though hardly forgivable. Times like these the processor can hit near 120%. So, for instance, a file copy involving many files will cause my Quad G5 to bog down noticeably.


Google Desktop: Processor Hog
(click image for larger view)


In addition, since Google Desktop is apparently pretty damn slow about indexing, said file copy will cause Google Desktop to start indexing again, which makes its processor usage hover between about 50% and 90%. Google Desktop's indexing process is both slow — far slower than file copies — and processor intensive — to the point of making other apps run noticeably slower. I'm uninstalling it now. I have work to do.

That was fun while it lasted.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1:41 AM

Systemboy,
I'm nervous about google desktop phoning home. What do you know about that. Does it transmit anything to google other than say "check of updates". I don't want my index or file content leaving my computer.
Why does google provide this for free? do they place ads? do they scan my content?    



1:46 AM

also, will google desktop allow searches for phrases (as opposed to unordered bags of words). Does it group them by kind. How about the date display, Spotlight shows you the last time a file was read--sometimes that's useful but mostly I prefer to see when it was last modifed.    



1:59 AM

Trying to answer my own question I only find older discussions of this (when it came out for the PC). It does cache your old files, even if you delete them. I assume this storage is on googles servers???

The most dire warning I found was this. You install this on a laptop. take it to work and jack it into the company network and mount the drives with the crown jewels. These are then indexed by Googledesktop. and stored on the laptop drive. Maybe shipped to google too.

big unintended data leak.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci1148583,00.html

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000264.html    



5:31 PM

Cems,

I'm not really any kind of Google Desktop expert. I have no idea if GD phones home, or what it sends if it does. I don't know if or in what way it searches phrases. I suggest you try it out on a test machine if you really want or need it. Otherwise, if you're really worried, I suggest you wait until some of these questions have been clearly answered.

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment