The Adventures of Systems Boy!

Confessions of a Mac SysAdmin...

Tiger Hates Leopard

So I'm sitting in my office, waiting for the Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard update to show up in my Software Update, and it just isn't happening. And at some point I realize, "Hey, maybe it just hasn't been downloaded to our Software Update Server yet." Yes, we run our very own Software Update Server under Mac OS X Server 10.4. It's super cool. It downloads all Apple updates to itself, and then any Mac in our lab can get all the Software Updates from our own internal server, rather than Apple's, which just saves gobs of time and bandwidth. Oh, we love it. But there appears to be a catch: Tiger Server will not download Leopard updates.

So I'm sitting there waiting, like, forever. And the 10.5.2 update never shows. Nor does the Leopard Graphics Update, or the HP Printer Drivers Update, and I'm all like, "Dude, what the fuck?" When all of a sudden the iLife Support Update does show up.

And that's when it hits me: Tiger totally hates Leopard.

But that's okay, 'cause Tiger's a total bitch.

In any case, I'm not sure if the converse is true — if Leopard Server will fail to download and serve Tiger updates — but if it is, good luck running a Software Update Server in a mixed Tiger/Leopard environment. Geez! You'd think Apple's software would be more compatible with, um... itself!

Highly annoying.

Oh, and by the way, after removing my Leopard box from the SUServer client list, these commands got me back in business without a restart:
sudo killall DirectoryService
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache


Just so you know.

UPDATE:
It would appear that Leopard's Software Update Server is a bit less finicky when it comes to older updates, for previous versions of the OS. Hmmm... Do you get the feeling Apple's trying to tell us something? (You know, like, "Upgrade your server." Or something.)



Leopard Software Update Server: Backwards Compatible
(click image for larger view)

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6:10 PM

That isnt' surprising. I ran into this awhile back, once I realized that my 10.4 SU Server couldn't serve updates to my 10.5 boxes. I figured 10.5 would be able to serve 10.4 clients.    



6:27 PM

Well, I was surprised. At least by the fact that 10.4 Server can't serve 10.5 updates. There may be some technical reason for this, but I doubt it. The only reason I can see to pull a stunt like that is to force people to upgrade their servers to maintain the same level of functionality. That seems like a crummy way to treat their Admin customers. And that isn't usually Apple's style.

-systemsboy    



12:35 AM

Apple changed the swupd catalog format in 10.5, ostensibly to serve the new catalog of Windows updates for Apple Software Update under Windows.

The problem is that there appears to be no officially sanctioned way to configure Apple Software Update under Windows to look at a swupd server.

awesome :)

nigel kersten    



1:51 PM

That seems like an astoundingly bad reason to upgrade to Leopard Server.

Grr...

-systemsboy    



» Post a Comment